By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

What's Your Genre?

Day 218


“Think as narrowly as you can and find a pocket of readers who are passionate about the same things you are.”
~ Kevin Kaiser, WD

Image courtesy of digitalart
FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Most readers have a favorite genre. I personally love reading historical romances novels or anything with horses in it. However, I don't care for Amish fiction, but I will read contemporary romances novels and even romantic suspense novels on occasion. After all, my book budget is only so big and my library only has so many books.

When I find an author that I like, I’m always on the lookout for their books – and am ultimately let down when their new series is in a different genre. Sometimes I’ll read their new books, and sometimes I’ll just move onto someone else in the right genre. This is why a large number of people will warn authors against genre hopping – but a large number of authors ignore those warnings. I won’t say one way or another if genre hopping is bad, but if you do genre hop, you have to re-identify your target audience each and every time – because not all the same readers will be interested.

You can’t market your new fantasy book to readers who loved your historical fiction novel. A few might bite, but many won’t. This is another area where working with other authors in your niche can be helpful. Cross promoting can help you build a reader base quicker than trying to do it all on your own.

Marketing prompt:


If you're just starting out in a new genre, see if another author would be willing to do a marketing exchange and place the first chapter of your book in the back of one of theirs – and of course you would need to return the favor.


Days to go: 147

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.