By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Get With The Times

Day 167


Audiences everywhere are tough. They don’t have time to be bored or brow beaten by orthodox, old fashioned advertising.
~ Craig Davis, J. Walter Thompson

When I think old fashioned advertising, I instantly think Mr. Whipple. Do you remember him? He was actually before my time (hints “old fashioned”) but that’s the first thing that pops into my head. I don’t think that’s what these boys meant when they said we don’t have time to be bored or brow beaten. No, I’m pretty sure they are talking about infomercials and door to door sales men. Nobody likes those or has the time for them. I barely have the time (or patience) to answer the door and tell them to go away. I don’t really even have the time to read all of the junk mail that I get, so those days are sputtering to an end as well.

But do you know what I do have the time for? Reading the bulletin board at the coffee shop while I wait for my latte. I have time to stand and read the bulletin board at the library while my twin 5 year olds use the restroom. I have time to read, okay, I waste my time reading blogs and Facebook posts (maybe that’s why I don’t have the time for infomercials?)

The bottom line is, the world of advertising has changed. People have changed. We need to make sure our marketing reflects the times.

Marketing prompt:


If you haven’t already, incorporate QR codes into your offline advertising. Consider creating a poster to hang at your local library or coffee shop that has a QR code on it – you can get a free QR code at: http://goqr.me/


Days to go: 198

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.