By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Writing Comes and Writing Goes

It's amazing to me how sometimes I can just sit down and write, and write, and write, and write, and write.... And then there are those other times, when I can sit down and stare at the screen, maybe type a little, and then erase it, nothing good seems to come.

That part of being a writer is a bit scary. When you don't know if you will ever write anything worth reading again. Now I'm not talking about writer's block. This is different then that. Writer's block is when nothing comes. You just can't get out a single word or coherent thought. That's not what I'm talking about. This is when you can write, you just can't write anything worth reading. Or you can work on a project, but you can't perfect it.

Today was one of those day's where nothing good came. I tried, and tried, and tried, but still nothing that was of any value came out of it. And that's when I realized that that's what being a writer is all about. Writing comes and writing goes, but the writer stays the same. They keep at it and write on. We don't simply cease to be writers just because we have an off day. Sure, off days are frustrating, but when you are a writer nothing can stop you from writing or being a writer. It's simply part of who you are.

*On a side note, if you are struggling with writer's block, I found a great blog post this week that I highly recommend: Once around the Writer's Block

I absolutely love this quote from that post: When a client is waiting on copy, it’s not too cool to say, “Oh sorry, not today. I have writer’s block. I’ll do it as soon as this passes.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.