By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

For Christian Authors

Photo Credit



I'm currently working on a devotional book for Christian authors, and I am loving it! It's stemming from studying God's word through the eyes of an author, and I just can't wait to share what I've been learning with you. So today I wanted to share some of my notes on 2 Timothy 4:2 with you.



Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction.
~ 2 Timothy 4:2 (NIV)

As a writer, I get a ton out of this verse. Think about it:
  • Preach the Word ~ As writers, we preach the Word through writing. 
  • Be prepared in season and out of season ~ We should be able to tell others about God when we are in the midst of authoring a new masterpiece, AND when we are sending an e-mail, talking on the phone, or at the grocery store. 
  • Correct, rebuke and encourage ~ All three of those things have to go together to provide a balanced message. If all we do is correct and rebuke, nobody will want to be around us or read what we have to say. But on the flip side, if all we do is encourage our readers, they will love us, but we will actually be failing them and God by not honoring His call to speak the truth in love.
  • And do it all with great patience and careful instruction ~ We should work and wait patiently and carefully, not just slapping words on a page and calling it good, but prayerfully making sure that we are sending out the right message. 
Just a heads up, since I am still building my audience, I am thinking about giving my blog more of a Christian theme. I'd love to hear your thoughts on doing so before I move forward. Would you find more posts like this encouraging, or would you prefer that I stick to the fundamentals of writing, marketing, publishing, and such?

P.S. I'm still looking for a title for my devotional book for authors... any suggestions?



This week, I'm linking up with Word-Filled Wednesday over at Internet Cafe Devotions. Check it out for more Word-Filled posts by visiting: http://internetcafedevotions.com/

3 comments:

  1. I like all the points you were able to get out of 2Tim 4:2, very insightful. Pray about where God wants you to take your blog, it's your place for your voice to be heard.

    ReplyDelete

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.