By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Key to Blogging Success

I'm sure you're thinking that there are hundreds of posts on the internet that claim to have the secret key to being a successful blogger, and while I have read most of them, I probably haven't read any of them all the way? Why? Because I'm busy. I don't have time to read all of the blogs on my list, let alone all of the ones that I find while searching for advice, unless of course, they are kept short. Some people add headings to make their posts scanable... but I don't want people to scan my posts, and I'm sure that you really don't either. We want our readers to actually read what we write! So what is the key to getting that to happen?

It's simple really.

Keep your posts short.

Formatting, layout, and all that are also important, but you can have the best formatting and be totally eye pleasing, and still be too long for me to fit into my schedule. So the next time you are writing a blog post that you want people to read, do your best to keep it short. The longer it is, the less likely people will finish it.

But if you are looking for other (more complex) theories on the key to successful blogging, here are some that I recommend (even though they are quite lengthy...):

5 Keys to Writing for an Online Audience - note key #1 :)
Intentional Blogging
The Ten Commandments of Blogging

And here are just a few good articles on random blogging topics:
History of Blogs
6 Ways to Beat the Bloggy Blahs
How to Write a Months Worth of Blog Posts in 1 Day
A Blog Dare

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.