By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Monday, February 20, 2012

I Dare You

Over the years that I have been blogging, I have learned quite a bit. But I am still learning. The information that people put out about how to be a good blogger contradicts itself often: Blog regularly, no matter what, don't miss a scheduled day vs only blog when you have something worthwhile to say. You must pick your niche and stick to it the experts say, find your voice and just be you. But what about the rebel bloggers who never have anything worthwhile to say, but they blog pretty regularly anyway, and they have hundreds of followers, simply because they have style and aren't afraid to be themselves? Niche? What's that they say. It's their blog and if you don't like, too bad for you. Somehow, that works for them. They don't care about grammar, or even upsetting their readers, they blog for them. They are free.

I blogged like that in the beginning (well, minus the grammar part). I blogged for me, simply because I loved to write and I needed an outlet. Over the years some of that has been lost. I write more full time for work, and have been blogbarded with information about how to blog "correctly". How to build a following, and draw traffic to my little corner of blogland. But you know what? I think I was doing better before. Before I had a niche, before I had a voice - back when it was just me and my blog.

It's funny, it reminds me of the movie "Pure Country", it was one of my favorites back when I was little. It's about this famous singer, who gets sick of all the lights, all the smoke, and he just misses singing. So he goes on a journey to find himself and his true voice again. I want to challenge you today to take that journey. If you have been caught up in all the do's and don'ts of blogland, take one day, and just write for you. Don't write for your audience, simply blog for the love of blogging. You can call it a writer's prompt or challenge so that your readers don't get freaked out if you want to, but just do it. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.