By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Driblet Thoughts

"Things come to me in driblets, and when the driblets come I have to work hard to make them into something coherent." 
~ Aldous Huxley

Have you ever related to the words of Mr. Huxley? I was actually feeling this way all week and just had to write the quote down when I came across it. You see, I'm one of those people who takes a lot of notes. When an idea comes to me, I HAVE to write it down, or I'll forget it and kick myself for it later. However, when I gather up all of my napkins, or open up my notebook, I have driblets; notes that I have jotted down in a hurry. I sit there reading through them thinking, "Wow! That was great! ... I wonder where I was going with it." Has that ever happened to you? 

It happens to me WAY too often. I then have to take my driblets and work hard to turn them into a completed work. Something more than a quote or though summery. Something worth reading. I think that's what Mr. Huxley might have meant when he wrote the above words. Granted he died in 1963 so I will never know for sure. But as a writer, I'm pretty sure I know exactly how he felt. My original thought was simply to cure this by never writing notes, but just stopping in my tracks to finish every single thing I started as soon as it jumped into my mind. - commence laughing. Okay, so that isn't really realistic... at all. It wouldn't be realistic even if I didn't have four kids, a husband and pets, but when you add them all in, it's down right comical. Great ideas don't usually come at convenient times for me. They come when I'm living life. I could be at the grocery store, at the park, in the bath tub... anywhere. So I'm left with driblets, and just like Mr. Huxley, I work hard to make them coherent works later on. 

Do you suffer from driblets? How do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.