By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Losing Sight


“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."  
~ Matthew 6:24
In God We Trust
Sometimes as an author it’s tempting to take our eyes off of the real reason that we do what we do. It’s tempting to shift the focus from glorifying Christ, to supporting our families financially. I suffered from that yesterday. My husband had a bad day at work and it looked like he might lose his job. I thought that maybe, just maybe if I could finish the book projects that I was working on, then we wouldn’t have to worry about it. After all, I knew several writers that were making a living from their book royalties – and I really believe that someday God has that in store for my family as well. But I also know deep down that today isn’t that day. It doesn’t simply happen overnight, and if I take my eyes off of serving God, then it wouldn’t be worth it anyway.

Jesus made it very clear that we cannot serve two masters. If I’m writing for Christ, then I can’t be concerned about the income that comes from it. If I’m writing to make more money, then I can’t be writing for Christ. Do you ever lose sight of the goal? Do you ever take your eyes from the prize? It can be tempting to do so, but I firmly believe deep down, that God will take care of my family, and yours, and He will use our writing to bring Him glory. And if it happens to be His will that we can earn a living from it, that would be awesome, but if not, we should still take heart in the fact that we are working for Him, and Him alone. 

Now that I am re-focused and trusting God with our problems, it's actually much easier to write, and not nearly as stressful. It's funny how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.