By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Friday, March 30, 2012

When You Can't Sleep

I have been having trouble sleeping recently. It's just like I'm dead tired, but as soon as my head hits the pillow I start head writing. I'm sure that it has to do with the fact that we are preparing for vacation and I have a lot to get done before we leave. Actually when you read this post, I will already be on vacation (and hopefully sleeping better!). But, back to the sleep thing: when I can't sleep I usually lay awake for hours head writing. Head writing is this evil thing that I do. I simply process thoughts better when I'm writing, so I write all the time, even if I don't have paper. Why is it evil you ask? Mainly because it's not productive. I usually forget it by the time I have a way to write it down, and I'm usually doing it while I'm suppose to be doing something else (like sleeping or listening).

Why not just get up and write?

Well, there are a few reasons. #1 being that my husband is a light sleeper and I don't want to wake him up by getting out of bed. #2 being that if I got up to write (like I did tonight) then I would be exhausted the next day. I can write for hours, I usually have to force myself to go to bed. It's already after midnight and I have to be up by 5:30 in the morning (I do have 4 very lively children who insist on it after all).

So what about you? What do you do when you have so much to write about that you can't sleep? Do you give in and get up, or do you force yourself to stay in bed and save it for another day?

If I had a night stand I would probably keep a notebook next to the bed so that I could write things down without getting up, but that might keep my husband up too, so I don't know for sure... Besides that, last time I did that, I stayed up all night writing notes in a notebook and still didn't get any sleep... And I sleep on the side of the bed by the wall, so there isn't anywhere to keep a notebook anyway. But I digress...

...Still waiting to hear from you. I promise I'll respond when I get home from my vaca. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.