By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Getting Organized

I've been struggling for, well the whole summer to stay organized and get caught up. It just seemed like I would clean my office only to have it trashed 24 hours later (part of this was because I work from home and my dear family likes to pile things on my desk). I would work extra hard trying to get caught up, only to fall farther and farther behind. I mean, I had PLANS for this summer. I was going to get so much done. Yet, looking back, I can't tell you exactly what I did...

But no more

I spent Saturday getting organized. I cleaned my office space (a place for everything and everything in its place ensures that clutter won't build up), then I re-did my work schedule. Instead of designating work time from 9-3 every day, I broke it down. I got out my trusty (was) dusty day planner, and broke down my schedule (in pencil so I can mark daily changes). Here's what it looks like:

9:00 - Editing
9:30 - Designated Client Task (planned in advance)
10:00 - Social Media / E-mails
10:30 - Urgent Tasks
11:00 - Ongoing Tasks
11:30 - 12:30 - Lunch Break
12:30 - Editing
1:00 - Social Media / E-mails
1:30 - Marketing
2:00 - Daily Duties
2:30 - Clean Up

Once I had a plan, I got out a timer. Setting it for 30 minute increments to help me stay on schedule, I found that some tasks that I hated flew by while I waited for the timer to beep and others that I enjoy didn't take as long as I thought! Essentially, it's the same principle behind the Productivity Software that I have and never use... Anyway! It worked GREAT on Saturday and I'm already starting to catch up. I can even tell you what I did and when. I can't wait to see how things go this week!

How do you stay organized and productive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.