By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Word of the Week:

I have heard a lot over the years about authors enhancing their writing by using better words. However, some authors take this too far, and use words that the average reader will not understand, or need to look up. I don't believe that this enhances writing at all. So on Monday's, I will be sharing a word of the week. This will usually be an adjective, as I believe that they have the biggest impact on our writing. A writer's best friend should be their thesaurus, not their dictionary.

For this week, I thought I would introduce the subject with multiple examples by using different colors. For example: instead of saying "the girl wore a red scarf." Red being the adjective, use the word crimson, ruby, or scarlet.

Some other examples would be as follows:

Yellow:
Gold(en or golden rod), blonde, honey, lemon, amber, sunshine...

Blue:
Navy, cobalt, sapphire, the color of the night sky...

Green:
Emerald, olive, lime, forest, grassy...

Purple:
Violet, plum, lavender, orchid, periwinkle...

Orange:
Apricot, carrot, tangerine, like the flames in the campfire.

Do you have other words that you use to describe colors that could be added to this list? I'd love for you to leave a comment to let me know. Improving our writing doesn't have to be difficult, it just takes a little more thought and creativity :)

While from here on out I will just pick one word, I thought there would be no better way to introduce the topic than by covering different words for different colors. This week in your writing, I challenge you to describe colors with descriptive adjectives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Have a favorite adjective that you would like to share with us? Let me know by e-mailing me at heather.hart@ymail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.