By using this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies.
Read my privacy policy here.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Word of the Week: Cumbersome

As I was thinking of a word for this week, I came to rest on the word "Heavy". How often do authors use this word in their writing? Too often I think. Yes, it is an adjective. However, there are so many better options. My favorite being "Cumbersome".  But let's look at it in detail:

Something that is heavy has a lot of weight. It's hard to carry (physically or emotionally).

Synonyms include:
Ample
Beefy
Big
Burdensome
ConsiderableCumbersome
Cumbrous
Elephantine
Excessive
Hefty

Laden
Large
Loaded
Massive
OppressedStout
Substantial
Weighted/weighty


Instead of saying that Patrick was carrying a heavy pack. It would be more interesting to read that Patrick was hauling a cumbersome pack on his back.


Instead of saying Serena felt the heaviness of the situation. You could say, Serena felt the massive weight of the circumstances surrounding her.


You get the point. Can you think of any other synonyms for heavy, and/or give an example?


This week, I challenge you not to use the word heavy in your writing. Instead, use cumbersome, or a different synonym to spice things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The main reason I write is to help other authors. I would love your feedback or suggestions for future posts or devotions. You can leave a public comment here, or use my contact form to send me a private message.